Foot pain is tough, I mean really tough. I have experienced it twice and it took some digging around to figure out something that would help ( see below). As we are full into summer with sandals and flip flops decorating our feet, learning a few tips to avoid any pain is a good idea. However, I must say, foot health is important to talk about year-round.
I first traveled over to Medline to see what they had to say about foot health. Here are their thoughts:
- Examine your feet regularly ( ie: get a pedicure)
- Wear comfortable shoes ( ie: go shopping!)
- Wash your feet daily with soap and lukewarm water ( ie: take time and take a bath)
- Trim your toenails straight across and not too short (ie: back to the nail salon*)
Our feet have a very important job by carrying us throughout our day – letting us get from a to b either walking or running! And if we are not moving we are standing with all our weight on our feet, so we need to take care of them and not take them for granted!
Adding to the above ways to prevent foot pain:
- Roll your foot on a tennis ball. Or you can look around for a foot massager – I have one similar to this
- After a long day, put your feet in a bowl of ice water. I know, it sounds horrible, but let me tell you, it feels great
- Foot exercises: flex and point and move your foot in a circular manner
- Foot massage: Rub ( or have someone else do it – back to the pedicure !) the arch of your foot while flexing and pointing
Any joint stiffness, tingling or numbness or swelling on your feet, would all be very good reasons to head to your doctor for further examination. These symptoms may indicate other problems in the body.